Labels

Wednesday 25 May 2011

A 2nd shot at life

For many years, I have fueled my interest in animals, by nursing, providing short-term shelter until a new home is found for them.  There were times, I ended up providing shelter until they passed on.  It was an enriching experience, raising funds for their cause under registered umbrellas here, but the most satisfying was when they integrated and lived harmoniously in a shared space.  
However, because space is always a problem on this little island, this interest, had to be carefully balanced with practicality.
Recently, I was given the opportunity to develop a base outside Singapore for my work.  As work got underway and began to take shape, this passive passion was re-ignited.  I never thought it would be possible to actually create a farm-like concept for animals who needed a 2nd shot at life. 

Now that there is a piece of land available for this purpose right across from where my work will be concentrated, this idea is no longer a figment of my imagination.

What i have learnt about the care of injured cats or dogs; I have learnt from pure interest as I worked with vets to ease their pain.  I do know that the plight of strays is similar across the world and there are many shelters run by interest groups or passionate individuals who are doing rescue work.

This project, will be one, which will take us perhaps a year to actually complete.
We will first have to tie this project in with our work in some way, so that funds will be available for us to begin the building process and to fund the shelter work over time.

I hope this marks the start of our animal shelter contribution at Rayong, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment